Sunday 27 March 2016

scratch.mit.edu

Today, I want to share my thoughts about the website scratch.mit.edu. Scratch is an open source programing language designed for students ( https://scratch.mit.edu/about/ ). It allows children to stack commands like Lego blocks. This makes it simple to understand and easy to learn.

I use Scratch to;
1. reinforce math concepts by connecting them to computer games that students code themselves,
2. integrate interest in creating "apps" into other subject areas,
3. create "Minds On" activities that peak student's interest at the beginning of a lesson.

Reinforcing Math Concepts

Here is a simple project that I use when teaching Transformations in Geometry. In it, a car translates across the screen. There is an option to make the car change colours. The car is controlled by a "start" and "stop" button.

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/44597258/#fullscreen

I then have students "look inside" the project to see how it works. Their task is to continue the idea by adding buttons to demonstrate "reflections" and "rotations."

Cross Curricular Integration

In this project, students "look inside" my example and then build on to it to create an interactive map of Canada. Note: The only province that you will get a response from clicking on is Ontario.

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/98432853/#fullscreen

Minds On

Finally, this is an example of how I get the attention of my students. They interact with my "app" to create different geometric patterns. It gets them thinking about what patterns are and how they can change. First, I have my class investigate making different patterns. Then, I have them create Tables of Values to show me how they think my pattern is changing.

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/85619700/#fullscreen

There are two aspects of Scratch that I really like. For one, it is free. Setting up an account is simple and student's don't have to share information about themselves other than what year they were born in. Secondly, it allows students to see what I've done and to share their ideas with each other. Seeing what I've done gives students the chance to figure out for themselves how the coding works. Sharing with each other promotes students to scaffold their work with the help of peers and to extend their learning by building on what each other has done.

Users will quickly note that Scratch does not work in iPads.

No comments:

Post a Comment