Wednesday 30 March 2016

Math Centres

I spent today at a workshop investigating Math Centres #PeelMathCentres I'll spend the next few days writing about this great experience.

To start, I need to point out that there is nothing new about using centres in math. Most students have experienced them in their Kindergarten and early elementary years. Many students have also experienced them in later grades. I've been teaching for some time, and I remember my OISE Math Professor, Don Fraser (@DonFraser9) instructing us on how to make learning math more engaging. Much of what we discussed today can be connected to ideas he was teaching us then.

The question then becomes, "if the idea is not new, and it is a good idea, than why hasn't it become more commonplace?" My blog posts will review today's workshop from this point of view. Each day, I will look at the issue from a different point of view, according to how today's workshop was organized.


#PeelMathCentres
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment